forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1516  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jun 24, 1999  1:15 pm
Subject:  Re: Phonemic way of writing

>Joe,
>
>Many years ago, when drafting used to be done with ink on mylar, the best
>technique for inking a sheet was top left to bottom right. It provided time
>for the ink to dry and kept the work flowing smoothly. Even in inking
>lettering, the recommended strokes were from top left to bottom right.
>
>Bill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes...this is the way we used to ink our SignWriter Newspaper. It was a
20-page large-size newspaper written in SignWriting with ink pens, because
that was before the personal computer was available and there was no way to
type SW - It was from 1981-1984. We developed and manufactured special
mylar templates with SignWriting symbols...and even made special transfer
sheets - we would transfer the symbols down on paper with wax.

It took three months to ink or wax one issue. And we wrote from top left to
bottom right - that is correct. But we were not "connecting the symbols" -
they were not "cursive SW symbols", but more like "block letters" inked
slowly and carefully. You can read more about this on the web:

History of SW Newspaper
https://www.SignWriting.org/hist005.html

But the keystrokes that are mentioned in the Handwriting lesson on the web
is leading up to "connecting to other symbols cursively" - so the
keystrokes changed because the goal was different.

Thank goodness we don't have to ink publications any longer. That is why I
am devoting my time to developing better computer programs.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1516  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index