forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1545  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 30, 1999  1:54 pm
Subject:  Symbols Rotate Automatically in SignWriter

Greg Noel wrote:
>As a passing comment, you may not need "thousands of symbol variations" in
>the Unicode. Simple translations like rotations and reflections are dirt
>simple for a computer to make (reversing a display for a left-handed
>version is trivial compared to getting things to display in the first
>place), so you probably don't need the eight different orientations of each
>symbol. And going from palm-facing to palm-away is just a matter of
>coloring the interior pixels.
>
>On the other hand, the code would be simpler if it didn't have to calculate
>all the extra shapes. (-;)

>Hope this helps,
>-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Greg -
Thanks so much for all your wonderful messages. And of course there is much
to discuss.

I just wanted quickly to comment on the paragraph above...the SignWriter
Computer Program does all that already! We have a way to type thousands of
symbols without anyone knowing they are typing thousands of symbols!

We flop, rotate, change palm facings - do everything quickly, and a good
typist can type very quickly.

And Rich Gleaves, the designer of SignWriter versions 1.0-4.3, did all the
calculations so that I actually didn't have to enter all those symbols into
our symbol program - I entered four rotations and the others were done
internally in the program.

And of course flops and typing left-handed signing is already in SignWriter
too - that is the very reason why we love SignWriter!

Now...if when Unicode is completed...other programmers can devise their own
ways of doing all those features, but using Unicode instead of SignWriter -
that is great too and will certainly be good for SignWriting :-)

Gosh - I have to get back to work -

It was great chatting with you!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1545  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index