forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1546  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Wed Jun 30, 1999  3:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Typing Left-Handed SignWriting

> Valerie Sutton wrote:
>>Perhaps you could share with us how Unicode and SGML differ?
>
> Apples and oranges. Unicode is about alphabets. SGML is about display.

Just a quick correction to Greg's otherwise excellent discussion of Unicode
and SGML. My correction is "SGML is about structure, not about display".
Whilst that may a subtle distinction it is very important.

Think of it in these (oversimplified terms) "SigWriting is about
handshapes; Sign Language is about putting handshapes together". Better
would be to say "SignWriting is about handshapes; Sign Language is about
communication".

Regards, Trevor

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Replies Author Date
1547 Re: Typing Left-Handed SignWriting Greg Noel Thu  7/1/1999
1548 Menus in ASL & English Valerie Sutton Thu  7/1/1999
1549 Re: Menus in ASL & English Valerie Sutton Thu  7/1/1999
1552 technical problems :-( Valerie Sutton Sat  7/3/1999

  Message 1546  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index