forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1554  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jul 3, 1999  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting & Unicode

In regards to Unicode....

One of the members of our SignWriting List is Michael Everson, from Dublin,
Ireland. Michael works with Unicode, and I will be sending Michael a
document of SignWriting symbols in the next few weeks, so that SignWriting
can be placed into Unicode. It may take several years - but sooner or later
it will happen.

I know Michael is away on vacation now, so of course he is the expert on
Unicode and Chinese, and I am just repeating what I understood - which is
that Chinese is already successfully typed with Unicode right now - and I
have spoken with some native Chinese speakers here in the USA who happen to
be programmers, and they tell me they have typed Chinese with Unicode and
that it works.

So I am very impressed with that myself. And they also have a way to type
heiroglyphics in Unicode I believe - so they have succeeded with developing
keystrokes for typing writing systems that are not ASCII characters.

Meanwhile, one of those Chinese-speaking programmers whom I told you about
is named Julie Chang. Julie is donating her time to our organization, along
with Dylan Doxey, to help design the Fingerspelling Fonts in SignWriting in
TrueType in Fontographer, and they are almost done with the Fingerspelling
USA font. And there are other limited TrueType fonts in SignWriting symbols
done in other countries too - so by Fall I hope to have a series of
TrueType fonts available to download for free from our web site.

TrueType will make it possible to type fingerspelling in SW symbols in
Microsoft Word - and possibly even in email messages, if everyone has a
copy of the same fonts installed in their systems on their computers.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1554  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index