forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1630  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 3, 1999  9:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages

>On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>
>> Your suggestion of LSB for a three-letter acronym for Brazilian Sign
>> Language is the same as Eduardo's...and I like it very much! I sure
>> wish we could use it....the only problem is that it is the same as the
>> French acronym for Belgian Sign Language....
>
> There's a Belgian Sign Language? Is the same language used in
>Flanders as in Wallonia? If not, could you use Walloon Sign Language? In
>other words, why should Belgium get priority? Hasn't there been more
>SignWriting stuff done in Brazil than in Belgium?

> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Angus!

Yes - there are at least three spoken languages (or dialects of languages)
spoken in Belgium - French, Flemish and Waloon - at least that is what I
thought was true. When I visited Belgium years ago I was amazed how well I
could read Flemish, since I speak Danish. As you know, Flemish is a dialect
of Dutch, that is spoken in Belgium. Waloon is a dialect of French, that is
spoken by people of celtic decent I believe - and then there is the
French-speaking section of Belgium - which is different than Waloon - at
least that was my understanding - but you are welcome to correct me if I
am wrong! Belgium has such a variety of languages it gets confusing!

In regards to the SignWriter Computer Program, the Belgian Sign Language
(related to the French speaking part of Belgium) was done many years before
the Brazilian section of SignWriter - Belgium was one of the first
countries we supported because there were Deaf people there who LOVED
SignWriting and were very involved in the mid-1980's. I haven't heard from
them in awhile, however.

Then in the early 1990's a teacher in Flemish Sign Language was very
interested in using the SignWriter Computer Program, and then that didn't
pan out for whatever reasons. But we still support Belgium and I am sure
the interest will build again. I was thinking of writing to them anyway. I
would like to do a Flemish Sign Language version of SignWriter, and you
will find it on our list of acronyms.

Then Brazil got involved with SignWriting in 1996 - so chronologically
Belgium came first - but Brazil is very important to us!!! It has nothing
to do with that - it is just a matter of finding different acronyms that
work and don't get confused with each other - just as the SIL listing did.
They had a hard job...;-)

It is true that Brazil is more active than Belgium right now - and anyone
in Brazil is welcome to tell me what to do!!

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1632 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  8/4/1999
1633 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Thu  8/5/1999

  Message 1630  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index