forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1763  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Aug 28, 1999  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re: color coding

>On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:17:50 -0700 Joe Martin
>writes:
>
>> I don't know how important it is, but there is something called the
>> Stroop Effect. When the physical appearance of a written symbol
>>doesn't match the meaning, it makes it harder to read, neurologically. For
>> example, if we wrote the word RED, in green ink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 28, 1999

Hi Joe and Everyone!
In regards to the way we are color-coding the SignWriting symbols...it has
nothing to do with meaning at all, so I don't think that the Stroop Effect
will probably have anything to do with it - at least I hope not...

We have been coloring "individual symbols" -It is pretty hard to compare
this to written forms of spoken languages...

You can see the color coding on this web page....

https://www.SignWriting.org/learn004.html

Facial expressions are green.
Movement symbols are red.
Hands are blue.
Contact symbols are pink.
Punctuation is yellow.
Arms and shoulders are black.

And since they are only "pieces" of a sign, one sign is "multi-colored".
This seems to help some beginning students. It brings focus to different
areas of study - for example - you always know that Movement is red, so
when you see eyegaze inside the facial circle, the eyegaze is a movement,
and it is colored red, inside the green circle for the face....as you can
see on this page:

Eyegaze in color coding
https://www.SignWriting.org/learn007.html

And thanks for the document in the mail, Joe....it looks wonderful and I
will be in touch about it :-)

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1763  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index