forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1978  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Oct 20, 1999  4:42 pm
Subject:  Re: linguistish shtuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Yes I am very much like her. I am learning what these meanings to me.. So can
>you explain them to us.. Smile.. HAve a great day1
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 20, 1999

Lourdes and Michelle - I really admire you both for asking these questions!
It is wonderful that you want to learn about linguistics :-)

Joe wrote a little sentence in the beginning of his message explaining that
it would be a technical message...so he did warn us!! :-)

The SW List has members from different walks of life...teachers,
researchers, Deaf people, interpreters, movement notators, students,
psychologists and linguists....very different worlds, really.....and
linguistics is particularly difficult unless you have studied it.

So most of us are the same as you...the terms are new to me too. But to
help a little....I have found three terms that Joe used in his
message...maybe someone can explain what they mean? I am not sure myself...

1. non-aural phonological decoding

2. aural phonetic content

3. grapheme-phoneme correspondence instruction

Smile...:-)))

In general, Joe was discussing how Deaf signers learn to read and
write...not only English or another spoken language, but also SignWriting,
and other writing systems too....Linguists are interested in studying how
we all learn languages etc....

Hope this helps a little!

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1978  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index