forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Sat Nov 6, 1999  4:32 am
Subject:  Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite"

Valerie and list,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I should be doing something else
this minute, but . . .

The meaning of the sign in JSL is hidden in the Subject line "Reverse,
opposite".

I'm afraid I didn't explain the movement so well. Sorry.

But I saw Lourdes' post, saying it looked like ASL "how", and that rang a
bell, so I dusted off my old ASL dictionary, and it does seem close. The
main difference is that JSL "reverse, opposite" completes a full circle
with the fingertips, whereas ASL how (in my book, anyway) starts kind of in
the middle. But the end is the same. I think.

Anyway, here goes.

At 18:31 11/01/1999 -0800, you wrote:
> 1.The palms are facing out and you are seeing the backs of your own hands
> (the filled-in symbols).
So far so good

> 2. The rotation from the wrist paints a circle that is parallel with the
> front wall, or your chest. The left hand rotates to the left (ouch) and the
> right hand rotates to the right (ouch) and you end up with the palms
> towards your chest, fingers pointing down?
OUCH!!!! Let me try again.
Wrists occupy the same space throughout the whole sign. Fingertips move out
(away from chest), past the "parallel-to-the-floor" position to the
"upside-down, parallel-to-the-wall position. The index fingers are still
touching each other at this point. The circular movement continues, though,
and as the finger pass closest to the torso, all four fingers are touching
back-to-back (not just the index fingers side-to-side as before), and the
hands come to "90-degree-angle-bent-at-first-knuckle" position, with the
fingers pointing toward the torso. Movement continues up and around until
fingers are pointing up again, back-to-back. This all happens very fast.

In SW writing side to side, I could put it this way: (see .gif file)

> If I have described this properly (smile), then the wrist circle symbols
> you have chosen are the wrong ones :-)
So since you described the wrongly, maybe they were right??

I think I wasn't supposed to use wrist circles at all. Perhaps.

Thanks for your patience,

Mark

Attachment
Swrevrs2.gif
Type: image/gif

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan
  Message 2226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index