forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2282  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Nov 12, 1999  2:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Compound signs in ASL

James Womack wrote...

>Wow!!!!!!!!!1 I am beginning to realize how much it is a
>challenge to
>write ASL. Put a 3-D language into 2-D form? SignWriting does a
>great job, I think. But it sure looks like it has to breathe hard
>to do so. I can't answer your question, just marvel at the
>demonstration
>you gave about representing an aspect of ASL I take for granted
>but requires
>serious thought about putting it into graphic form.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 12, 1999

Hi James - Sure there is a lot to write, but we don't have to breathe hard!
Once you know SignWriting, it becomes easy.

The only issue, really, are Deaf adults like yourself who have not had the
opportunity to learn it in grade school. If you had learned SignWriting at
age 6 and 7, when we all learn how to write English or other spoken
languages, which is very hard to learn by the way, then you would take
writing signs for granted, just as we take writing words for granted.

So it is more that it is a "new experience" for you - that is the issue.

But it appears that our attached files are helping people - it is time that
we not talk English so much, but get more into the technical writing - it
is probably good for all of us!

  Message 2282  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index