forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2365  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Greg Noel
Date:  Thu Nov 18, 1999  5:03 am
Subject:  Re: Making .GIF Files

At 7:05 PM -0800 11/17/99, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>... program to create .GIFs...knowing of a free program would be
>great - hope you can write to tell us -

Sorry, this is a contradiction. Unisys and IBM hold patents on the GIF
format and they want $$$ for programs to create the format. (Readers are
free, but not writers.) See https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html for
more info.

PNG (https://www.cdrom.com/pub/png) is the up-and-coming replacement for GIF
and is standardized by W3C (https://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG). It doesn't do
animation, but MNG (https://www.cdrom.com/pub/mng), a related format that's
not quite an extension, does.

PNG is not yet as wide-spread as GIF, but it's getting there. I have no
idea if it's supported on all the mail readers you are using; it might be
interesting to find out. If enough handled it, you could use PNG.

-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru

  Replies Author Date
2366 Re: Making .GIF Files Valerie Sutton Thu  11/18/1999

  Message 2365  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index