forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2598  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jan 24, 2000  3:51 pm
Subject:  SignWriting Annual Meeting Jan. 22

January 24, 2000

Dear SignWriting List!

Hope you all are doing well...I would like to welcome several new
members to the SignWriting List. Please feel free to introduce
yourselves. We always love to hear from you...;-)

We held our Annual SignWriting Membership Meeting on January 22nd,
and it went well. After the other guests left, I sat and talked for
two hours with a linguist about writing American Sign Language verbs
in SignWriting, which was a really interesting conversation...

Years ago, around 1982-1983, we had written quite a number of verbs
in ASL in SignWriting, but then the work never got published. We even
compared directional verbs in American Sign Language with directional
verbs in Danish Sign Language. So that work is important...It stopped
because in 1983 we did not have a way to type SignWriting and so we
were creating documents with ink pens, templates and transfer sheets.
It was a great deal of tedious hand work. Everytime the Danish or
American verb teams changed their minds about something, we had to
re-ink the document and it got exhausting...So we put the work aside
waiting for the completion of SignWriter 1.0 (sound familiar? :-)

Then when SignWriter 1.0 was up and running, I never got back to
typing the old handwritten verb document into the computer.

And years later, around 1989, I worked with linguist Karen van Hoek
on writing other ASL verbs. I jotted down in handwritten notes what
Karen showed me...some of it is written in SW Shorthand, and some in
Handwriting. So at this point, I have a bunch of hand-written
documents that need to be typed into the computer.

So while talking with the linguist at our meeting on Saturday, we
both agreed that I need to post the writing of some verbs on the
SignBankSite, so people can see how to write the many changes and
variations of verbs. And it would be great to post both the Danish
verbs as well as the American ones, to show people some of the
differences between signed languages. The linguist I spoke with is
using SignWriting to record verbs too.

So that was our meeting! We postponed the Deaf presentation until the
Spring, because one of our Deaf presentors is about to give birth. I
look forward to having a DAC meeting in the Spring!

Have a wonderful day....

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2598  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index