forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2618  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jan 26, 2000  4:24 pm
Subject:  Writing Signed German vs. German Sign Language

Stefan wrote:
>Many little orders! Well I could sign this directly to my pupils but
>thatīs not the point. This way I asked them to read and understand a
>written instruction in Signed German - (which is not so easy to
>understand - compared to DGS) Next Irina had to switch to DGS in
>order to inform another pupil about is job.
>In the beginning she simply read (in a very competent manner) the
>signs - "word" by "word" - it is not easy to make sense of this
>unnatural order of the signs --- I have my doubts wether itīs a
>good idea - I donīt know wether I should allow them to read
>voiceless DGS -

-----------------------------------

SignWriting List
January 26, 2000

Thanks Stefan for the great report! And this morning I also received
reports from Switzerland and two other countries so things are really
going very fast!

You mention the issue of writing Signed German versus true German
Sign Language....obviously the SignWriting symbols themselves can be
applied to writing both....

Before, when I worked regularly with Deaf people here in the USA, we
decided that our organization, the DAC, would always try our best to
write good American Sign Language, rather than Signed English.

So we did make a distinction and a very definite decision.

How do others feel about this? Writing "Signed German" or "Signed
English" in SignWriting is possible...but is it confusing for the
students?

That is my question for the day!

Now...in regards to getting to editing your SignWriter files, Stefan
- I completed sending the urgent order to Maine, where they are using
SignWriting in a course for linguists at the University of Southern
Maine - that was a rush order. And now I have a rush order to
Brazil....once I have sent the Brazilian order I will try to get back
to reading your files.

The real problem is that I do not know German Sign Language, and
unless you were standing here signing the sign to me, I cannot tell
if you have written it properly...so the one time you sent me a video
clip - that really helped.

If there is a specific sign that you need a specific answer
to...please create a .GIF and then describe the question about that
specific sign in English and send it to the List...then maybe someone
else can answer before I do! But I will answer sooner or later -

Sorry I cannot be cloned! And thanks for your patience ;-)

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2618  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index