forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2616  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Wed Jan 26, 2000  3:30 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in France?

Hi Valerie,

this is great news.

Today there were two groups of teacher-students visiting my lessons.
I asked my pupils - especially Irina - she is our best signer with her all
deaf background - to read directly from the monitor what the other pupils
are asked to do.

Example: Danny has to go to the blackboard. He should write his name at the
blackboard.

Many little orders! Well I could sign this directly to my pupils but thatīs
not the point. This way I asked them to read and understand a written
instruction in Signed German - (which is not so easy to understand -
compared to DGS) Next Irina had to switch to DGS in order to inform another
pupil about is job.
In the beginning she simply read (in a very competent manner) the signs -
"word" by "word" - it is not easy to make sense of this unnatural order of
the signs --- I have my doubts wether itīs a good idea - I donīt know
wether I should allow them to read voiceless DGS -
On the other hand - itīs so impressive to watch their articulation skills to
develop. They accept the written SW - symbols just without any hesitation
as another form of notification ( written German letters - being the other
one)
So all of us were so impressed that these children were abel thanks to Sw
to read written messages - in German they will have to wait for months to
get this done.

My visitors have heard about the "Spiegel- article" they were so happy to
see this system being practiced.

It was a great day. Nevertheless Iīm dependend on you support to get more
competend in writing the correct SW - symbols.

Sefan

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: SW in France?
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:08:24 -0800
>
>Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>
>>Can you tell me more about that ? Which school in France?
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>SignWriting List
>January 26, 2000
>
>Thanks, Stefan, for the question :-)
>
>I just received the letter of confirmation from the French school. I
>still have to create their web page and I will post everything soon.
>But to answer your question:
>
>The group in France is:
>
>The teachers of the high school and middle school (and possibly
>elementary school) grade, at the IRIS School, in the city of
>Toulouse, France, a part of the Accademy of Toulouse School District.
>
>So...we have two new participating schools...one from France and one
>from South Africa and I hope to post all that today!
>
>More soon!
>
>Val ;-)
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Valerie Sutton at the DAC
>Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
>
>SignWriting
>
>https://www.SignWriting.org
>
>Center For Sutton Movement Writing
>an educational nonprofit organization
>Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
2618 Writing Signed German vs. German Sign Language Valerie Sutton Wed  1/26/2000

  Message 2616  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index