forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2648  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jan 30, 2000  1:32 am
Subject:  Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries...

> Attached is the Chinese name for SignWriting.
Wayne Smith

--------------------------

SignWriting List
January 29, 2000

Wayne - what a thrill! I really got a kick out of seeing
"SignWriting" written in Chinese! Thank you. I will save that .GIF.

I know I never told you, because I didn't want to get everyone's
hopes up too soon, but some things are actually working in SignWriter
5.0! And one of them is the Menus in Chinese - Wayne sent me .GIFs of
the translations of the Menu items, such as "Print", "Save", and
"Exit" in Chinese and then I entered the Chinese .gifs into
SignWriter 5.0 menus. It is quite amazing....We won't be able to type
in Chinese for some time because there is so much programming
involved with "hooking into" other programs that type Chinese, but at
least we will be able to switch to "Menus in Chinese" ...so that is a
beginning.

Actually I like switching to "all sign language" menus - such as "all
ASL" or all "Taiwan Sign Language", because it really teaches reading
signs while you are using the program...I can show you samles later...

So, thanks Wayne! By the way, would you like a web page on your work
with Taiwan Sign Language and SignWriting? If so, I need a short
report and then I will post it. If you have any example of
SignWriting documents or whatever you feel is a good sample of what
you are doing, that will be good too... We can update it slowly, as
more Taiwanese Deaf people become involved - no rush - the web site
will remain up.

I am now preparing beautiful new photos for the web. They are of
children in Albuquerque, New Mexico, typing with SignWriter and
showing their typed documents...it is really moving because they are
ages 6, 7 and 9! I hope to post it tonight and hopefully tomorrow
morning we will have France & South Africa's web pages, plus the new
photos from Albuquerque posted -

But back to the names for SignWriting around the world...I
wonder..What are some of the other names for SignWriting around the
world? Could people send .GIFs or .JPEGs showing how they sign
"SignWriting" in different countries?

That would be most interesting...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2648  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index