forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2649  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Susanne Bentele
Date:  Sun Jan 30, 2000  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries...

Val wrote:

>Some countries continue to use the term "SignWriting" in English, no
>matter what their spoken language, and other countries translate the
>name into their native spoken language. And I am happy either way. I
>think each country should do what is best for the Deaf people in
>their country. After all, Deaf people do not necessarily know
>English..and I know they have all translated the name into their
>respective signed languages...so why not the spoken languages too?
>
>Gebaerdenspracheshrift....in Germany

hi all,
actually here in germany - at least the people i know - the term
SignWriting is used, as "gebaerdenschrift" as such is not specific enough.
it just means the writing of signs or writing system for signs, which could
be any system, really.
so here in hamburg we specify SignWriting or Stokoe Notation or HamNoSys
with the original terms.
best, susanne

Susanne Bentele
Universität Hamburg
Institut für Deutsche Gebärdensprache und Kommunikation Gehörloser
University of Hamburg
Institute of German Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf
Binderstr. 34
20146 Hamburg - Germany
Tel.: ++49-40-428.38-6734
Geschäftszimmer: ++49-40-428.38-6737
ST: ++49-40-428.38-6738
Fax: ++49-40-428.38-6109

https://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/tlex
------
P.S. Don't forget to visit the Hunger Site today and every day.
Every time you do you feed a few hungry people somewhere in the world.
<https://www.thehungersite.com>

  Replies Author Date
2651 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Sun  1/30/2000

  Message 2649  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index