forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2655  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun Jan 30, 2000  5:51 pm
Subject:  Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries...

Hi Valerie, Susanne and SWlistmembers

As far as I know our classes at Osnabrück are the ones in Germany who
practice SignWriting.

I realized that it helped a lot to talk about "Gebaerdenschrift" instead of
SignWriting.
I really heard a teacher say that it might be nonses to teach the pupils
ASL. ..
Too many people do know almost nothing about this movement writing system..
Well we use it to translate our signs of our signlanguage into a written
form.

As "Gebärdensprachschrift" turned out to be not handy enough for everyday
talk we (in our very small but very engaged team) decided to talk of
"Gebaerdenschrift" and this helps as a terminus which I can use while I´m
talking to colleagues or parents or pupils ...

Stefan ;-)

>From: Susanne Bentele
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries...
>Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:48:50 +0100
>
>Val wrote:
>
> >Some countries continue to use the term "SignWriting" in English, no
> >matter what their spoken language, and other countries translate the
> >name into their native spoken language. And I am happy either way. I
> >think each country should do what is best for the Deaf people in
> >their country. After all, Deaf people do not necessarily know
> >English..and I know they have all translated the name into their
> >respective signed languages...so why not the spoken languages too?
> >
> >Gebaerdenspracheshrift....in Germany
>
>hi all,
>actually here in germany - at least the people i know - the term
>SignWriting is used, as "gebaerdenschrift" as such is not specific enough.

>it just means the writing of signs or writing system for signs, which could
>be any system, really.
>so here in hamburg we specify SignWriting or Stokoe Notation or HamNoSys

In Osnabrück nobody is able to read a single sign in Stokoe Notation or
Hamnosys - so Gebärdenschrift is the practical way to write "Gebaerden" -

>with the original terms.
>best, susanne
>

>Susanne Bentele
>Universität Hamburg
>Institut für Deutsche Gebärdensprache und Kommunikation Gehörloser
>University of Hamburg
>Institute of German Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf
>Binderstr. 34
>20146 Hamburg - Germany
>Tel.: ++49-40-428.38-6734
>Geschäftszimmer: ++49-40-428.38-6737
>ST: ++49-40-428.38-6738
>Fax: ++49-40-428.38-6109
>
>https://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/tlex
>------
>P.S. Don't forget to visit the Hunger Site today and every day.
>Every time you do you feed a few hungry people somewhere in the world.
><https://www.thehungersite.com>

  Replies Author Date
2659 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Tue  2/1/2000

  Message 2655  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index