forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2646  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jan 29, 2000  7:04 pm
Subject:  The name "SignWriting" in other countries...

SignWriting List
January 29, 2000

I received this question the other day....

QUESTION: How are you handling the name "SignWriting" in other
countries that do not speak English? Are people using the English
word "SignWriting" when they speak French, Israeli, etc., or are they
using a translation or calque of the word (in French, that might be
'l'ecriture des signes' or 'le systeme d'ecrire des signes,' or
something equal to that.) I forget what the German had, but it was a
compound like SignWriting. Just wondered.

ANSWER: It is flexible and depends on the country.

The English term "SignWriting" is a registered trademark here in the
USA, owned by our nonprofit organization, the Center For Sutton
Movement Writing.

Some countries continue to use the term "SignWriting" in English, no
matter what their spoken language, and other countries translate the
name into their native spoken language. And I am happy either way. I
think each country should do what is best for the Deaf people in
their country. After all, Deaf people do not necessarily know
English..and I know they have all translated the name into their
respective signed languages...so why not the spoken languages too?

Below are some of the translations of the name around the world. I
have not used accents because some computers cannot read them. If I
have made mistakes please tell me:

SignoEscritura...in Spain

SenaEscritura...in Nicaragua

TegnSkrift...in Denmark and Norway

Gebaerdenspracheshrift....in Germany

And I do not yet know what our new French participants will call it,
and who knows, maybe it will be translated into Africaans?! And what
about in Italian, Gaelic or Flemish?!! smile...

If someone knows of other translations, please tell us!

Thanks for your question -

Val ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Replies Author Date
2647 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Wayne in Maine Sat  1/29/2000
2648 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Sun  1/30/2000
2649 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Susanne Bentele Sun  1/30/2000
2651 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Sun  1/30/2000
2650 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Shepard-Kegl Sun  1/30/2000
2652 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Sun  1/30/2000
2654 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Stefan Woehrmann Mon  1/31/2000
2658 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Valerie Sutton Tue  2/1/2000
2655 Re: The name "SignWriting" in other countries... Stefan Woehrmann Mon  1/31/2000

  Message 2646  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index