forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2690  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 3, 2000  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: Shorthand

>I think James mentioned that in Bluefields he only knew one family that
>had a flush toilet (?) It has always seemed to me that a writing system
>that requires an investment in expensive high tech equipment is hardly
>worth the name. I know, I know, if it wasn't for the Web, .....Hey, I'm
>biased, yes.--- but the point is that the reliance on technology
>(computers) makes the system less accessible for the very people who stand
>to benefit from it most.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SignWriting List
February 3, 2000

Hi Joe - Of course no writing system should be dependent on computers
- and SignWriting most definitely is NOT!

People write SW by hand everyday...as Cecilia Flood from Albuquerque
so eloquently explained in her message...it starts to happen
naturally as people learn to read ...they start to write notes with
pencil and paper as an automatic extension of their reading
experiences...I have another photo of one of Cecilia's students, age
7, reading his handwritten notes - it is a darling picture and I am
looking forward to posting it on the web - it is the one that didn't
get posted!

As you know, back in history, before the development of the
SignWriter Computer Program, we published a newspaper written by hand
with ink pens from 1981 -1984...so SignWriting technically has
nothing to do with computers...

Our world is just "computer-hungry" right now, that's all...so
publishing the SignWriting Printing by computer is a very nice
addition to the daily lives of SignWriting users...but computers are
not a requirement at all.

Ironically, you mention the poverty in Bluefields, Nicaragua, which
certainly continues to be poor and I am sure most people in
Bluefields do not have computers....

....but even so, James and Judy Shepard-Kegl, who founded the school
in Bluefields, have been using the computer to type books written in
Nicaraguan Sign Language - so the computer was still there...and on
top of that...arrangements were made to send computers to the school
in Bluefields, so some of the Nicaraguan students have learned to
type with the SignWriter Computer Program anyway, even though it is
poverty-stricken around them....

So I guess you can't escape computers, Joe! But that doesn't mean you
can't learn the Handwriting and Shorthand too - So I am going to
write to Karen and maybe we can start posting some Shorthand to the
SignWriting List so you all can learn it sooner rather than later...

PS. Talking about the web - I have not forgotten your web posting of
the Stokoe-SignWriting comparison :-)

Have a great day everyone - I am hitting web design again and it gets
very time consuming...so I will be online again tomorrow morning -

Many blessings to everyone -

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2690  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index