forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2738  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 7, 2000  9:28 pm
Subject:  Re: Help to develop a LUC/GIFs 'What is your name?'

At 9:40 PM +0100 2/7/00, Marc Bode wrote:
>grrr..."..ich koennte mir die Haare raufen..!"
>Living for a while in Taganga in a family with a deaf child of 3
>years, reminded me of my old idea. It is a practical need!
>More clearly I have to differ: I was disappointed about discovering,
>that different SIGNINGS between deaf people in the world is usual.
>(If I would have thought more deeply about it, it would have been
>obvious before.)
>I was very happy about discovering, that your SIGNWRITING (LANGUAGE)
>can be used for presenting these different SIGNINGS. So SIGNWRITING
>IS one part of a system I AM looking for!!!
>My intention is, to find a common base to present different SIGNINGS
>(language-dependent) through SIGNWRITING (LANGUAGE)
>(language-depentent) by storing in so called LUC (whether you call
>it code or language or what ever), so that it is quite easily
>presentable in languages like English or German through ASCII or
>UNICODE or ...
>Marc,
>waiting for GIFs...

February 7, 2000

Smile...we sense your frustration, Marc!

Actually, it is good that you have this frustration now, because it
would happen sooner or later, and at least you know now there are
issues connected with the fact that signed languages are not
international....

I am glad to see that you have lived with a Deaf child - that helps
me understand your background with deafness.

I think it is wonderful that you want to use SignWriting, which is
not a language as you know. It just writes languages that already
exist.

I would suggest downloading the SignWriter Shareware and learning to
type signs yourself. Are you still in contact with the born-Deaf
child you mention? Maybe he or she would enjoy learning SignWriting
and writing and typing signs?

I will send you a .GIF later today. But meanwhile, here is
information on our web site about downloading shareware...perhaps you
will also want the source code for SignWriter 4.3?

The shareware includes a 3000 ASL sign dictionary, so could learn a
lot on your own:

SignWriting Software Developer's Forum
https://www.SignWriting.org/soft000.html

Daniela Remião de Macedo
Sign Dic, a bilingual dictionary program
https://www.SignWriting.org/soft002.html

Download SignWriter Shareware
version 4.3 for MS-DOS
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw128.html

Fingerspelling Keyboards
SignWriter Computer Program
https://www.SignWriting.org/fkey001.html

SignWriter Computer Program Package
version 4.3 for MS-DOS
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw124.html

Sutton's Sign-Symbol-Sequence
List of SignWriting Symbols
https://www.SignWriting.org/sss001.html

Want to receive source code for
SignWriter 4.3 for MS-DOS ?
https://www.SignWriting.org/soft001.html

  Message 2738  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index