forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2789  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 10, 2000  5:02 am
Subject:  Re: Teaching SW

At 10:36 AM -0600 2/9/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>I was wondering how do most people go about learning SW? What "methods"
>are you finding successful for teaching/learning SW personally and/or in
>a group? I am in the process of putting together a SW study group where
>we can learn together. I would like some ideas on methodology.

---------------------------

SignWriting List
February 9, 2000

Hi Stuart...That's great! I hope your study group enjoys learning SignWriting.

I am in a strange position because I am a movement notator, not a
teacher of ASL or any language. So it may be that Steve and Dianne
Parkhurst in Spain, or others in Norway, Brazil, Nicaragua or Germany
etc can give you some advice on how to start developing teaching
methods for ASL users...

SignWriting has to "be applied" to different signed languages. So
your group needs to learn to "apply" the symbols to signs they know...

Maybe your group will develop a little booklet that would help
beginners to write ASL? I hope so...

Years ago I had hoped for some ASL teachers to take the initiative to
create new books that teach ASL using SignWriting. But after 22
years, no one had done it in this country.

So that is why a few years ago we finally created the "Learn To Read
ASL in SignWriting" series, based on videotapes of ASL storytelling.

The subject matter may not be very interesting to you - Goldilocks
does get a little dull after awhile!

But the one thing that the "Learn To Read ASL in SignWriting" series
does, is it gives you a videotape, and the writing of that video in
SignWriting and so your group can start and stop the video and then
look at the SignWriting etc...it becomes an interesting exercise for
people learning how SignWriting works.

From there you can develop your own material because you will have
some experience...

Here is information about the series on the web:

COURSE 3:
LEARN TO READ ASL

Learn To Read ASL
Introduction
https://www.SignWriting.org/learn001.html

Learn To Read ASL
Frame by Frame Instruction
https://www.SignWriting.org/learn005.html

2792 Re: Teaching SW Akehurst Thu  2/10/2000
2841 Searching for SW Information Valerie Sutton Wed  2/16/2000

  Message 2789  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index