forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2802  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Don & Theresa G
Date:  Fri Feb 11, 2000  8:47 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Hearing Person's Gestures

----- Original Message -----
From: Valerie Sutton
> So in other words, yes...SignWriting could be applied to writing the
> body language that accompanies spoken languages, but the question
> is...who would want it? smile...

Funny you should ask. :-) During my doctoral study, I took a class in the
Anthropology department, and one project the students had was to transcribe
a segment of a Jenny Jones episode (maybe it was the whole show?) Anyway,
being Deaf, I couldn't transcribe the speech. So what I decided to do,
after getting some transcriptions from other people, was to correlate the
gestures the panelists used with what they said (I was looking at the
indexicality and iconicity of their gestures). For example, I remember one
woman talking about looking in her rear view mirror, and as she was thinking
or speaking of the mirror, she pointed to the space where a mirror would be
if she were sitting in the car. I believe I used Stokoe Notation for my
transcription, but Sign Writing probably would have worked just as well
(maybe better) for it.

--Don Grushkin

  Replies Author Date
2816 Re: Writing Hearing Person's Gestures Valerie Sutton Mon  2/14/2000

  Message 2802  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index