forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2816  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 14, 2000  2:53 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Hearing Person's Gestures

-----------------------------------

On 2/11/00, Joe Martin wrote:
>David McNeil's research lab at the University of Chicago comes immediately
>to mind. There is currently a lot of interest in "gesture studies" now,
>largely due to his pioneering work. "Gesture" in this case refers only to
>those physical movements that accompany speech. McNeil has shown how
>these are inseparably linked to speech, in our brains.

-----------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 14, 2000

Thank you Don and Joe, for the above comments. "Looking in the rear
view mirror" sounds like a very visual, almost "mime-like" gesture to
write - that is exciting that you wrote that Don, and yes...it would
be easy and visual to write in SignWriting.

And Joe, a lot of people do not realize that SignWriting is a part of
a much larger notation system: Sutton Movement Writing. If you saw
some of the other dance notation systems, I bet you would be
surprised. Labanotation, for example, uses nothing but triangles and
squares to represent the human body - totally "non-visual".

Meanwhile writing body language and gesture in our Movement Writing
system is very intuitive, visual and easy to read...

I suspect David McNeil just doesn't realize that this tool is
available to him - but that is OK! We have enough to do just writing
signed languages and working with Deaf children! ;-)))

Have a great day everyone!

PS. Joe - I am working on posting your article comparing Stokoe
notation with SignWriting right now ;-)) It may be another day or so
before I have something to show you....