forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2817  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 14, 2000  3:24 pm
Subject:  Re: one gap - two gaps

On 2/10/00, Charles Butler wrote:
>Very curious now, I would prefer to see the ASL used handset not multiply
>handshapes unnecessarily. Just like the "a" in "hat" and the "a" in "hate"
>are not pronounced the same, and therefore require a silent "e" to indicate
>the difference, we don't change the 'a' but add a diacritical 'e' in
>everyday writing, where the IPA has two distinct written shapes.
>Charles Butler

------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 14, 2000

Charles - Thanks for this thoughtful comment. I agree with you. Just
because SignWriting has the capability to write every detail, doesn't
mean that we should write so much detail that we overwhelm readers.

This thread started when Stefan asked about the handshape that shows
the index finger bending slightly from the knuckle joint. It is a
symbol we have only used for research, thus far.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of people who do bend their knuckle joint
slightly, in certain signs in ASL....but we have chosen not to write
that detail in the past...

So when Stefan asked me for the symbol that could write that, I gave
it to him, but told him I didn't think it was necessary.....

So at least, by having all the symbols available to us, we have
choices....it will probably take another generation to iron-out what
is important and what isn't important, when writing signs on a daily
basis.