forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2870  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Therese Shellabarger
Date:  Mon Feb 21, 2000  6:21 pm
Subject:  Re: IMPORTANT Message from South Africa!

At 08:31:09 2/21/2000 -0800, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>Upon starting the video, the kids reacted first, not to the
>SignWriting, but to the `human interest factor'. E.g. where do the
>presenters come from? Where are their clothes from? (and a
>discussion between their clothes and ours in SA), Are the presenters
>Deaf? (and a discussion on the fact that the kids think that Cindy
>doesn't look `Deaf' but Kevin does -- which ensued in a fascinating
>discussion on my trying to find out what `looks Deaf' and what
>doesn't!!! -- a mind boggling topic in its own right! Nothing

This seems to me very typical of Deaf social meetings here in the U.S.,
when people are meeting for the first time. I think it's a way of
establishing first the "validity" of the people, vis a vis the Deaf
community. Especially on video, I would imagine that's even more difficult
to do, hence the many questions. The students probably wanted to be sure
what they were watching wasn't from people who didn't know their head from
a hole in the ground, so to speak. (-:

--
Therese Shellabarger -
https://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/ Shalom chaverot!

  Replies Author Date
2872 IMPORTANT Message from South Africa! Valerie Sutton Mon  2/21/2000

  Message 2870  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index