forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2877  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 21, 2000  11:13 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

>I wondered if there was a way to use DanceWriting (or some other aspect
>of the movement notation) and Signwriting to transcribe signed songs,
>both those translated from existing hearing songs and those created by
>deaf signers themselves. I would like to capture the rhythm and the
>"flow" of the song so that the song is not just a bunch of signs strung
>together, but a song that has been translated into a visual format for
>deaf participants to enjoy.
>>Any thoughts or responses??>
>Stuart Thiessen

---------------------------

SignWriting List
February 21, 2000

Oh yes! We write Sign Language theater most definitely - and of
course the entire Sutton Movement Writing system can be used to write
both dance and signs simultaneously....you could record tap dancing
while you are simultaneously signing...you could record detailed
visual poetry...that has already been done in Spain where they have
been writing Deaf poetry in SignWriting that is far more than the
average signing, let me tell you!

So yes...you can write anything that moves...so why not try? Choose
one signed version of a song, and we can write it with counts to the
music if you wish - or counts to an inner rhythm...we can record
group dances where one signer signs one thing on one side of the
stage, and we can record another person signing something else
simultanously and we can record how their movements intertwine under
the counts to the music.

You could have 12 people signing something different at the same time
and that can be recorded - so it is just a matter of becoming
skilled. I suggest that you ask one question at a time to the
SignWriting List, and slowly you will write the signed song, and when
you are done we can post it on the web!