forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2879  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 22, 2000  1:57 am
Subject:  Re: IMPORTANT Message from South Africa!

On 2/21/00, Ingrid Foggitt wrote:

>Well, today was the first day of SignWriting at Fulton School,
>Durban, South Africa.
>
>I showed the introductory videos to Grade 9 and 10. The whole group
>makes up about 30 learners who are between the ages of 14 and 18.
>The vast age differences in the same classes is a reality in South
>Africa due to the educational imbalances of the past. Some classes
>in the primary school have kids who are 6 sitting alongside teenagers
>of 14, etc. However, each school does its best to solve such
>problems.

----------------------------

SignWriting List
February 21, 2000

Thank you, Ingrid, for your excellent description of South Africa and
your school...I was fascinated. I know that the city of Durbin is
near the ocean, isn't that correct? On the southern tip of South
Africa but on the eastern side...I enjoyed looking at the map.... I
bet Durban is a beautiful city!

And Durban is in the Kingdom of Zulu? From your message, we have
learned that there are many nationalities living there, including
people from India...is that correct? You can see I am trying to learn
a little bit about South Africa too!

Did you know that years ago, in the rural areas of the United States,
we had "one-room school houses" too?

My father, who is now 78 years old, was raised out in the country, in
the state of Ohio. He attended a "one-room school house" in the
1920's, where children from ages 6-18 were in one classroom...so he
told me stories about the positive and negatives of such an
arrangement.

And it was not all negative...the older students oftentimes helped
the younger students....so that was positive - they pulled together
like a family....

I think it is very understandable, with all of the different
nationalities you have in the Zulu Nation, that such classrooms would
exist...wish I could be there to say "hello" to everyone - please do
that for me!

I will write soon again -