forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2916  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Feb 26, 2000  12:53 am
Subject:  Dawn's Important Message .....

SignWriting List
February 25, 2000

My dear friends...
Sometimes we receive such terrific messages, it is hard to know which
ones to read first! I have been trying to answer the messages in
order, as they are received, but it doesn't always work that way ;-)))

I now wish I had answered Dawn McReynolds sooner, because in the
middle of a bunch of technical messages, Dawn wrote the most
stirring, moving message...I cannot thank you, Dawn, enough for
sharing this with us. Your complete message means a great deal to me,
and I am looking forward to posting in on your web page, along with
the lovely photo of your daughter Nicole.

The reason I feel it is important is this:

Dawn is saying that her daughter's reading skills in English have
improved "two grades" because of SignWriting (or at least partly
because of SignWriting). This means a lot, because even though some
of us have "guessed" that might happen, we never had enough people
try it...so we didn't know if that would be true or not.

I know that others will say that it is not "scientific data" and of
course it is not...but certainly this anectodal evidence is still
valuable, and should encourage others to do research on this issue.

Can SignWriting help raise the literacy levels of born-deaf people,
in a spoken language?

Excerpts of Dawn's message are pasted below: