forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2917  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Sat Feb 26, 2000  10:33 am
Subject:  Re: Spelling Japan

Mark & Stefan -
I guess it's about time I chimed in on this thread. The TSL (Taiwan
SL) sign for Japan is as in the attachment. JSL "Japan" seems much larger
than the TSL sign "Japan". The TSL sign is a small repeated movement using
the handshape indicated. However, the handshape you're talking about does
appear in the TSL sign for "triangle". Stefan's suggestion seems
reasonable.
- Wayne

>From: Stefan Woehrmann
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Spelling Japan
>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:25:49 PST
>
>Dear Mark ,
>
>I looked at your question - SignWriting Japan - with great interest.
>I sat down and tried different variations. Please have a look at the
>attachment.
>Moving my hands the way you spelled it I have to rotate my hands toward my
>body -no gaps at the endpositions. Is that correct?
>In Germany we sign it the way I tried to write. Moving the hands quickly I
>can almost find no difference (if it hasnīt to be signed too exactly ) Can
>you misread my versions - or would they be accepted as "Japan"
>Thanks for your question. Helped me to figure out what can be done with SW
>4.3 and what not in this case. ( By the way . If I need a very short line (
>as thumb ) is there anywhere a line that can help - besides the one beneath
>the question mark on my keyboard ? )
>
>Have a nice day
>
>Stefan ;-)

Attachment
japan.GIF
Type: image/gif

2930 Re: Spelling Japan Wayne in Maine Sun  2/27/2000

  Message 2917  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index