forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2929  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Sat Feb 26, 2000  2:04 pm
Subject:  Re: Spelling Japan

Thanks so much Stefan, Wayne and Valerie for all your help. I'll run the
examples by my friend and see if she has a preference.

At 22:07 02/25/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> On 2/25/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> >In Germany we sign it the way I tried to write. Moving the hands
> >quickly I can almost find no difference (if it hasn $B%( (Jt to be signed
> >too exactly ) Can you misread my versions - or would they be
> >accepted as "Japan".

I think you're right, when you sign it quickly, there is very little
difference. It will be interesting to see which one feels best to Japanese
signers. The sign here in Japan actually developed from a pretty large
drawing of the shape of Japan (sometimes vertical) and would need curved
arrows to do properly, but in common use, it is hardly ever done that way.

I believe I've seen the "double arrow" version Wayne showed from TSL, but I
don't think it was in Japan that I saw it, but somewhere abroad in Asia,
perhaps even Taiwan. I am fascinated by the difference, and already have a
hypothesis to try to explain it, but this is leading off topic . . .

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Message 2929  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index