forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2944  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 29, 2000  10:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

At 9:32 AM -0600 2/29/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>For ASL, a good way to start might be to get the permission of Deaf
>Missions in Council Bluffs, IA to transcribe their ASL video translation
>into SW. Apparently, this is a translation from the Hebrew, Aramaic, and
>Greek into ASL. You can find out more by going to their site
>www.deafmissions.com. An elder in our church is on the board there so he
>will be contacting them to see if we can get their permission. It will be
>one way we will practice our SW and get a written ASL translation of the
>Bible at the same time. I will let you know how that goes.

--------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 29, 2000

First, I think we must give Pastor Ron Dettloff in Michigan praise
for his remarkable work with using SignWriting to record his
translations of the Bible passages, posted on the web:

The SignBible Site
King James Bible in American Sign Language,
Written in SignWriting,
https://cyberjer.com/signbibl/index.htm

I remember I did mention the Missions in Council Bluffs to Ron a long
time ago....

I think it would be wonderful, if permission could be granted, to
transcribe the ASL videos into SignWriting. It would serve several
purposes....a way for all of you to practice
SignWriting...transcribing the facial expressions and other important
features of the ASL would be a fascinating experience...plus it would
be fun for your congregation to look at the video, and then look at
the SignWriting...an interesting way to teach the reading of
scripture in ASL. Plus it gives another translated version, so there
would be two different versions of certain passages...one from Ron's
congregation and one from the Council Bluff videos...an excellent way
to stretch the use of SignWriting ;-)