forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2942  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Tue Feb 29, 2000  3:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

For ASL, a good way to start might be to get the permission of Deaf
Missions in Council Bluffs, IA to transcribe their ASL video translation
into SW. Apparently, this is a translation from the Hebrew, Aramaic, and
Greek into ASL. You can find out more by going to their site
www.deafmissions.com. An elder in our church is on the board there so he
will be contacting them to see if we can get their permission. It will be
one way we will practice our SW and get a written ASL translation of the
Bible at the same time. I will let you know how that goes.

I don't know if there are any other video translations in process for other
sign languages, but that's one way to begin.

Stuart

"Angus B. Grieve-Smith" wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>
> > It would be interesting too to compare Ron's ASL version of the KJV
> > Bible with a BSL version. Except I don't favour the KJV; go more for
> > contemporary translations---even with the hearing. :-)
>
> These would still be translations of translations. The ideal
> situation would be to find someone (or several someones) who could
> translate directly from the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into the
> target signed language.
>
> --
> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
> Linguistics Department
> University of New Mexico

  Replies Author Date
2944 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Tue  2/29/2000
2971 Transcribing Video SL Bible translations Mark Penner Fri  3/3/2000
2979 Re: Transcribing Video SL Bible translations Valerie Sutton Fri  3/3/2000
2998 Re: Transcribing Video SL Bible translations Mark Penner Mon  3/6/2000
3031 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Valerie Sutton Thu  3/9/2000
3060 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Mark Penner Mon  3/13/2000
3137 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Valerie Sutton Sun  3/19/2000
3148 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Mark Penner Tue  3/21/2000
3028 Re: Transcribing Video SL Bible translations Valerie Sutton Thu  3/9/2000

  Message 2942  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index