forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2958  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Wed Mar 1, 2000  10:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> > On 2/24/00, Charles Butler wrote:
> >>I love the dance writing with music. I would find it easier to write it
> >>above the music, like multiple vocal lines. It's very interesting.
>
> The synchronising of SignWriting symbols with CPN and English text is
> obviously something beyod the capabilities of SignWriter (even version 5
> with all its improvements). Being a computing scientist by profession I've
> returned to an idea I floated here several months ago of using TeX to
> typeset SignWriting. (There are already Music packages for TeX so I'd be 1/8
> the way toward the goal.)
>

> Eagerly waiting for these messages. :-) They may change my mind (and
> therefore ease my work) about a TeX based solution.

I only have a passing familiarity with TeX, but I can see how that could be
another solution to the typing of SW. I'm quite interested in finding out how
that would work. You can explain it better than I for sure, but for the sake of
those reading my message, I'm going to give my best shot.

TeX is a Unix program (though there are versions of it for Windows and I think
Mac). This program functions like a desktop publishing program except it is not
WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get). The principle behind TeX is that you
put your text in a simple text file and focus on the text you are writing. As
you write, you include various style markers like \emphasis or something to
indicate what should have emphasis or what should be a header, etc. When you run
that text file through the TeX program along with the choice of a specific style
sheet, you get the WYSIWYG output you desired when it is done. Anyone with that
style sheet and any other special fonts, etc. should be able to duplicate the
output of your document with little to no trouble.

My question to Trevor is: if you can't see the SW characters on screen, how
would it get typed in or are you thinking it would be a graphical TeX solution?

Stuart

PS You can respond to me personally if you would rather since this is a computer
related question.

  Replies Author Date
2960 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000

  Message 2958  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index