forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3020  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Mar 8, 2000  4:26 pm
Subject:  Typing Alternating Finger Movement

SignWriting List
March 8, 2000

Dear SignWriting List Members:

When designing the SignWriter 4.3 symbol set, I ran out of memory in
the old computer program and we were lacking a place for certain
symbols on the keyboard, so I tricked the program into accepting
other symbols "hidden under certain keys".

Most of the time, the symbols you want are there, but sometimes they
are hidden and you can't find them. Obviously such problems are being
solved now with newer software designs, but the old SignWriter 4.3
cannot be changed, since we ran out of memory.

So you need to learn where all the variations of symbols are hiding ;-)

When you have a Movement Symbol selected (shimmering on the
screen)....to find a hidden variation, tap on the "N" key...if the
variation isn't there, tap on the "period" key. If the variation
isn't there, tap on the Rotate Key....which is the very last key on
the bottom row to the far right. That key usually gives us rotations,
but in some rare cases there are hidden symbols underneath.

This is what programmers call a "kluge"...in other words...we fudged
it to get what we want even though it is not a clean design....but at
least we have the symbols somewhere!

So for example, the Alternating Finger Movements that I just
described in a previous message show only the Single Finger Trill
when you first type the symbol, but if you tap on the "N" key, you
will find the other variations of the symbol...keep tapping on the N
key until you find the variation you want.

Hope this helps!