forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3039  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James Womack
Date:  Fri Mar 10, 2000  10:47 am
Subject:  Re: Making QuickTime Video Clips

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valerie Sutton"
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 10:44 AM
Subject: Making QuickTime Video Clips

> On 3/9/00, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
> > To create a video clip your computer needs a video capture card;
> >don't know if Mark has one or not. Most cards come with software to edit
> >the clips and convert them to QuickTime or .avi format.

True, for Mac machines, with IBM however, the mostly used format is MPEG.
The mostly found hardware to insert into an IBM compatible can be found in
almost any
store from Wal-Mart to CompUSA. Matter of fact, I have the Dazzler Kit.
However, I will replace this with something else after I investigate other
options
more. Dazzler is good but for me, too awkward and inconsistent in function.

The short time I used Quicktime ( a time limited sample I got off some
site ),
I experienced the same inconsistencies I did with Dazzler. But when either
worked, they both did well.

Suggestion: Video card should be 32MB memory to handle the graphic demands
other the CPU will work harder = slower machine.

> > I've been emailing video files to my professor at UNM, and I've
> >found that they can get pretty big: depending on the frame rate,
> >resolution and color depth they can be over a megabyte for a few seconds
> >of video. It turns out that by using a compression program, I can reduce
> >that to under 100KB per second of video. Zip compression works for
> >Windows and Unix, and Mac users can use Stuffit.
> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith

For IBMs again, I think the best programs for compressing really large files
is LHA (aka LZH), a Japanese program. I don't use it much now but it was
always superior at compressing files. Friends on Fidonet (the few I keep
in touch with via BBS) assure me, the best just got better with a new
version calld
LHA260, I think. ARJ also does a better job than zip last time I bothered to
check.
The easiest archiving shell to use is Winzip (the full version which I
finally got) but
advise to get its companion, Winzip Extractor so you can make compressed
files
open themselves and operate in case the receiving party doesn't have an
uncompression
program or doesn't know how to use it.

> ---------------------------------
>
> SignWriting List
> March 9, 2000

> Thank you, Angus, for this great information. It was just what I
> needed to know.

> So a computer has to have a video card to be able to create the
> QuickTime movies? - that makes sense.

Let me not dare to presume to know more than Angie about Quicktime
or Macs. However, I do believe that like IBMs, you must have a video
editing program married to your video card. The card can't do anything
without instructions from the software. To this end, I have Dazzler Video
Creator, which came with its own video editing software, plus ULEAD Studio.
Remove these and my 16MB Diamond video card, Dazzler itself, and my VCR to
computer connection (for transferring video from analog into digital form
on computer)
would be just junk.

> I guess other computers can still read the QuickTime movies, even if
> they don't have a video card?...they just can't create them, without
> a video card...is that correct?

Well, two things here. Read the movies and craete the movies are two
different beasts. All computers have a video card. That's how you are able
to see
what is on the monitor. Think of your card as an interpreter who translate
computerese
into monitorian. Without it, you'd be looking at a black screen. Now,
creating videoes
requires something with more muscle or functionality. You're talking about
handling
graphic data which gets huge and fast and I think a different set of data
signals. A
little 1MB video card will get swamped, 8MB card would do better but still
be hard
pressed, 16MB card can probably handle a lot (like mine) for most uses, but
a 32MB
card is what you'd prefer fo a smoother display and less burden on your CPU.

Humbly accepting any correction Angie might offer, here's how it works
in a nutshell.

Creation: You either have a videotape and a VCR to computer link via
hardware
like an external device or yoru video card has this built in function so you
only
poke in the proper wire terminal. VCR feeds the video onto your hard drive
or
directly into the program. You use the program to edit the video and play it
back
to test your editing. You can add special effects, remove frames, add frames
from other
clips etc. OR you can do all this via a direct videocamera to computer link
into the same card
or external device. Short talk: Somethibng must put the video into teh
computer before you
can fiddle with it.

The video card doesn't create. It translate data for the monitor to display
it.
It reducing the CPU's workload in this aspect. It determines how well your
digitalized video will display. Example, my home computer with 16MB on
teh card, videos are nearly life like. At office with 8MB card, videos
have a micro-slow motion quality thats is not distracting but can be
seen an depending on what is on video, can get jerky in spots.

Warning: Video files are inherently large, I mean huge, I mean gigantic,
I mean cosmic-sized. Usually, you have to put them on your hard drive
first before you begin editing them. So you better have plenty of hard drive
space to work with any video editing you do.

> Since the files are likely to become very large, I personally vote
> not to get into making Quicktime movies for the SignWriting List
> work, since .GIF's and attached .SGN files seem to be working...do
> you agree with me? Any other suggestions?

I am inclined to agree, but with a really good compression program and
enough people who understand how to use it, maybe having Quicktime or MPEG
files is not wholly bad. Maybe instead of putting them onto the list, put
them on reserve
in the SW website for people to download, thatway you can probably put two
versions
(QT and MPEG) so IBM and mac folks can use them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
squirrel
(\__/) .~ ~.))
/O O ./ .'
{O__, \

/ . . ) \
|-| '-' \
( _( )_.'

https://www.education.eku.edu/Sed/faculty/womack/default.htm

  Replies Author Date
3040 Re: Making QuickTime Video Clips James Womack Fri  3/10/2000
3062 Re: Making QuickTime Video Clips Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  3/13/2000
3063 Re: Making QuickTime Video Clips Bill Reese Mon  3/13/2000

  Message 3039  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index