forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3060  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Mon Mar 13, 2000  5:03 am
Subject:  Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language

At 07:16 03/09/2000 -0800, Valerie wrote:
> Actually, Mark, placing captions on the video would be a bad idea,
> when it comes to transcribing video in SignWriting.

.. . . Snip . . .
> And the purpose of this transcription excercise is to write a signed
> language no one knows, to learn the SignWriting symbols in a generic
> fashion.

Yes! Absolutely. What I meant to say was NOT to caption them in English or
Japanese or any other language, but in SignWriting itself. This would be
done after the transcribing, and would not help anyone know the meaning. It
would help people relate the SignWriting symbols to the visual reality they
were conveying. So, as you said, knowing the meaning would only get in the
way. The purpose would only be to learn SignWriting.

Of course, since this is a Bible translation, the very curious would always
have the recourse of looking it up themselves in a language they can read,
but that would be beside the point.

Mark
Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Replies Author Date
3137 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Valerie Sutton Sun  3/19/2000
3148 Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language Mark Penner Tue  3/21/2000

  Message 3060  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index