forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3031  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 9, 2000  3:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language

On 3/6/00, Mark Penner wrote:

>Yes. And if someone knew how to do this, wouldn't it be great to have a
>video with "closed captioning" in SignWriting. That seems like a
>tremendously effective teaching tool--instant feedback in a natural signing
>context. But already I have more ideas than we have time . . . alas.

--------------------------------

SignWriting List
March 9, 2000

Actually, Mark, placing captions on the video would be a bad idea,
when it comes to transcribing video in SignWriting.

So thank goodness you do not have captioned videos!

Why is it a bad idea?

As you know, SignWriting was not developed with a prior knowledge of
any signed language - it was developed to record any body movement
and it is not dependent on meaning...

"Knowing the meaning of what is being said" can actually hurt the
transcription process sometimes, because students get so caught up
with what it means, they forget to write what they see.

And the purpose of this transcription excercise is to write a signed
language no one knows, to learn the SignWriting symbols in a generic
fashion.

Plus the captions could get in the way of viewing the movement...It
will distract the eye from seeing "movement for movement's sake"...

So your videos sound perfect and I hope a few people will sign on to
the project -