forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3180  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Mar 24, 2000  6:00 pm
Subject:  Re: SW at the Kentucky School for the Deaf

On 3/22/00, Cecilia Flood wrote:

>Of all the members of our presentation team, one of our 12
>year old students is 'more prepared' for this event than the 'elders'.
>Fernando, on his own, went home and prepared a three page handwritten
>document with both SignWriting and English script. When I asked
>Fernando, why he wrote both SW and English with long arrows connecting
>the two rows, he responded that his Mom and Dad don't know Signs. Good
>enough answer for me! He has never seen literacy materials in this
>fashion. He is 'working' the systems.

SignWriting List
March 24, 2000

If I remember correctly, Don Grushkin's wife had expressed concern
that using SignWriting for ASL in a classroom setting was not
teaching the reading and writing of English, and that English of
course is a priority....

Well ...Don, please share the above paragraph with your wife...

A 12 year old Deaf student, who had only learned SignWriting to write
ASL, became so inspired on his own, that he chose to write his
document in BOTH English and ASL...why?....because he wanted to!

SignWriting reaches Deaf children in a way that no spoken language
can, and because of that, it becomes a bridge to the world of spoken
language...