forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3199  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 6, 2000  2:05 pm
Subject:  The Passing of William Stokoe

SignWriting List
April 6, 2000

Dear SignWriting List Members:
Recently I have been working on a large web posting written by Joe
Martin, comparing the Stokoe notation system with SignWriting. Joe
gave me the final draft the other day, but I have not completed the
posting on the web yet. I hope to announce the article on Monday.

This message was received by me this morning, April 6, 2000. I
apologize for not being able to ascertain when "last night" was. It
is recent however.

_____

"Dear friends,

I want to let you know that Bill Stokoe passed away last night at home.
Although weakened considerably since the first of the year, Bill
continued to correspond with his friends and colleagues on email and in
person until just last week when he took a turn for the worse."

_____

It was very kind of my friend to send this message to me....

Dr. Stokoe was a sweet and gentle man, who did groundbreaking
research, proving that signed languages are true languages, with a
grammar and structure as sophisticated as spoken languages.

In Dr. Stokoe's day, that was a surprise to other people, who had
believed that true languages could only be spoken, not signed. So Dr.
Stokoe, with his original work, indirectly had influence on anyone
who uses a signed language today.

The world shall always be indebted to him for that gift.