forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3200  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 6, 2000  2:27 pm
Subject:  SignWriting in Deaf Education

SignWriting List
April 6, 2000

Hello Everyone -

I am writing to tell you all that I viewed the video master tapes of
the excellent presentation on SignWriting, held in Albuquerque,
presented by researcher Cecilia Flood, and teachers Lorraine Crespin
and Kate Dalton.

All three presenters were wonderful. I was particularly touched by
the two teachers, Lorraine and Kate, who did not know what to expect
when Cecilia brought the SignWriting materials into their
classrooms...

To their surprise and great joy, the children's expressions while
they sign are improving, and even their retention of the meaning of
English words is improving....and both teachers said very strongly,
that they feel it is a direct result of SignWriting being introduced
to their students 7 months ago.

And video footage of the Deaf children teaching the adults how to use
the SignWriter Computer Program was absolutely priceless!! And Deaf
student Fernando presented so well ....he read his SignWriting script
for the audience, signing it quickly from his handwritten and typed
SignWriting notes.

My plan is this:

I will be creating a documentary series entitled....
"SignWriting in Deaf Education Video Series"

The first video in the series will be:
Video One: Albuquerque Public Schools, March 24, 2000

The format for the documentary will be a split screen, with the
interpreter full size on the right, and the presenters on the left.
At the bottom of the screen, there will be English captions. I will
also include a printed booklet that goes with the video, with a
complete transcription of what was said in the presentation, with
diagrams. I hope to distribute this package to educators later.

And because of the Albuquerque presentation, a second school in
southern New Mexico will be starting with 6 Deaf children, so it is
very encouraging...

Thank you Cecilia, and everyone who presented, for all you are doing!