forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3259  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  5:46 pm
Subject:  Re: email.sgn to email1.pdf

>When I viewed it with Acrobat Reader 3.01 (Mac) I got a error message:

> An 'EI' was expected when parsing an image.
>
>This might be because I'm (deliberately) not using the latest version of
>reader. It might indicate a more general problem.
>
>Regards, Trevor

------------------------

You know, Jerry, Angus and Trevor - I just had a thought. My idea
below may have nothing to do with the above problem, but just in
case, here it is:

Trevor is using SignWriter, but the A-4 Paper size version. Jerry is
using SignWriter, but the US letter size version.

We went through a horrible time years ago, when it came to developing
the SignWriter Computer Program for MS-DOS. Our programmer was
donating his time and he is an American and he never thought of the
paper size issue, until the entire SignWriter program was done, and
then I had to inform him that in other parts of the world they are
having problems printing.

Of course he was dismayed but had no choice to work on it...and at
that time - in the mid 1980's -the support was HORRIBLE from
Microsoft on International issues - we thought we would be driven
nuts. But Rich braved through creating an "A-4" version of
SignWriter, but to blend the two paper sizes into ONE program was a
large job and we had no money...so we have two SignWriters - the
exact same program, but one is A4 and the other is US letter.

Normally this doesn't matter if a person is only dealing with people
within their own country, but with something like PDF, what would
happen if Jerry bases his PDF on the American version of the program,
but Trevor's printer is A4?

Just a question we should think through...if Trevor has the same
problems after downloading the current Acrobat Reader 4.0, then that
may be a clue...I know the Postscript internal commands to the laser
printer are different for the two different paper sizes...

Happy Easter once again!