forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3260  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  cmf
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  7:26 pm
Subject:  an overdue resport, CASA Albq. N.M.

Dear SW-List members,

I am attaching a report on our presentation on SignWriting at the CASA
conference in March 2000. Before you open that attachment and read about
our experiences, I want to express my sincere gratitude to my
co-presenters, Kate Dalton and Lorraine Crespin. For me personally, the
collaboration experience in preparing for this presentation with these
two classroom teachers has been one of the most gratifying aspects of
the SignWriting Literacy Project here in Albuquerque. I am grateful also
to the parents of our SignWriting learners for giving us permission to
'share their children' via videotapes and writing samples. I want to
thank especially those parents who transported their children to the
conference to be 'SW tutors'. I want to thank Valerie for her support
during all developmental phases of the presentation; the preparation of
information packets, the arrangements for the video recording of the
presentation, and for the assistance with all the evolving post
presentation events and activities. It is true, 'pictures are worth more
than a thousand words'. The production of the videotape documentary of
this event will be well worth the energy and expense with the burdoned
placed mostly on Valerie and the DAC. Meanwhile, the report submitted is
my attempt to bring some closure to a personal and professional
experience that has not only confirmed my beliefs about Deaf and Hard of
Hearing student capabilities but has also motivated my continued
committment to promote biliteracy development for DHH students.

Cecilia