forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3356  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun May 7, 2000  9:21 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases/ Sutton's Sign-Symbol-Sequence

Hi Valerie

there is sooooo much to be done -

>In my point of few it is a pitty that we an use the dictionary only one
>way - from spoken language word -to SL

Yes! Isn't that the truth! But the limitations are only in the
software...not in SignWriting itself. You can still put the signs
into Sign-Symbol-Sequence by hand...

>For my pupils I try to prepare very short lists of words which could be
used
>eather way- but that isnīt the solution at all. I have got no idea - how an
>expert could manage to organize hundred of SW -signs in a specific order so
>that you would be able to find the word /meaning of a SW-symbol in a spoken
>sign.

We already have a Sequence based on Sutton's Sign-Symbol-Sequence. It
is simply the software that needs to be developed. If you would like
to do some dictionaries by hand, in Sequence, I will be glad to teach
you.

Well - in the future there are another four deaf kids waiting to join our
group . I will teach a combination first and second grade deaf children - an
the new pupils will have to learn SW and all the stuff from the very
beginning. We are already the "experienced" and I guess my friends would bw
happy about our very own and only and first SW-symbol -sequence - -- German
dictionary.

As you know. I do have your Sutton's Sign-Symbol-Sequence dictionary . I
should have again a look at it. But any additional advices are most welcome!

Stefan ;-)

  Replies Author Date
3365 Sutton's Sign-Symbol-Sequence Valerie Sutton Mon  5/8/2000

  Message 3356  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index