forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3385  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  1:06 am
Subject:  Re: SignWriting Project

At 6:59 PM +0000 5/9/00, Amy Rosenberg wrote:
>It seems I will be taking on a huge SignWriting project....

>So, I'm writing to ask for some guidance.
>I know I will need the latest SignWriter computer program -- and I
>know I will need people to check my work! Please offer me other
>suggestions and opinions.

SignWriting List
May 9, 2000

That sounds like a great project, Amy. Of course we are happy to help...

I am asking everyone to post questions to the SW List now. And you
are most welcome to do that too. Although I am behind in answering
the questions, at least when I do answer everyone learns from it ;-)

And it may be that your Deaf co-workers might enjoy joining the
SignWriting List?

By the way, your paper on the web about SignWriting has received many
good comments. I hope to make a PDF document of your's and Joe
Martin's web postings during the summer...for anyone curious, Amy's
paper starts on this web page:

Writing Signed Languages
In Support of Adopting an ASL Writing System
by Amy Rosenberg
https://www.SignWriting.org/rese010.html

And while we are on the subject of web postings, did you know about
the SignBible Site? Portions of the Bible are written in ASL in
SignWriting. They can be downloaded from the web, or read online. The
documents are written by Pastor Ron Dettloff and other members of the
Deaf Church in Michigan and the web site is designed by Jerry
Spillman:

The SignBible Site
King James Bible in American Sign Language,
Written in SignWriting,
https://cyberjer.com/signbibl/index.htm

You might want to write to Pastor Dettloff. He and his congregation
have experience doing translaitons, and they may have some good tips
for you. I really loved their Easter Story, which they wrote in ASL
right before Easter. It is available for purchase if you write to
Pastor Dettloff. Their Deaf artist, Terri Mikula, did a great job
with the illustrations:

Pastor Ronald & Judith Dettloff

The most up-to-date version of the SignWriter Computer Program,
version 4.3, is available for free on the web:

Download SignWriter Shareware
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw128.html

Or you can purchase the complete package with five instruction
manuals and 17 signed languages, and ten spoken languages (grin):

SignWriter Computer Program Package
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw124.html

Good luck with your project, and I hope you will keep us informed!