forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3461  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Fri May 26, 2000  3:17 am
Subject:  Lessons In Sign Language Transcription

Comments:
1st sign:
I guess it's just me, but I looked and looked and looked at this--it
looked like he touched his jaw with his index finger. I couldn't decide
whether to write it that way, or with the second contact on the shoulder,
or non second contact at all. Did anyone else have that problem?

I liked Stephan's change of orientation, which seems to capture the
movement quite well. Mark's was *very clear--but I agree, maybe better
not to shift perspectives unless we have to.

2nd sign:
Wow, a lot of different spellings :-) I noticed the arm movement, but
thought it was unneccesary to write it as it seemed more a consequence of
the wrist moving--so I didn't write it. I'm confused about Stefan's
movement arrow; I read that as a forearm held horizontally in front of the
body, hand pointing to the left, and its rotating. (shown by the double,
curved arrow). But in this sign the forearm was verticle--???

Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA