forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3459  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Fri May 26, 2000  2:47 am
Subject:  Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription

Great to see the transcriptions. I liked Wayne's for the second sign (his
first, as he didn't include the nod/blink), though perhaps Stephan's may
have been technically more accurate. It was hard to tell where one sign
stopped and the next began, and the hand was sort of in the "in-between"
position--between the way Wayne and I wrote it and the way Stephan wrote
it. I liked the look of the sign with just the shoulder mark, rather than
the overhead view I used.

For the third (Waynes 2nd), I liked Stephan's a lot, though I might have
used a straight arrow for the angle instead of the curved. Again, these are
hard distinctions to draw, at least for me. Both Wayne and Stephan saw the
third with fingers together, and that seems better to me than mine too. I
found the two arrows on Waynes confusing, and mine had no arm movement
indicated at all, whereas in the video, there was, I think.

What fun! It's wonderful to get such feedback.

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Replies Author Date
3461 Lessons In Sign Language Transcription Joe Martin Fri  5/26/2000
3618 First Two Signs on the Video Valerie Sutton Mon  6/19/2000
3648 Transcribing signs: curved chest contact Valerie Sutton Mon  6/26/2000

  Message 3459  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index