forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3581  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  1:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Irish Blessing "peace"

At 10:08 PM -0700 6/15/00, Joe Martin wrote:
>When I read this first, I had no trouble with this sign. I saw it as the
>same sign I use for "quiet, silence,..." But then I read
>stefan's question and I went back and tried to decipher it
>phonologically, and now it seems confusing.
>I didn't get the idea that the
>hands exchanged places;

SignWriting List
June 16, 2000

Yes. Stefan is in the enviable position of not knowing ASL. He is
lucky, because he cannot make any assumptions. If the writing isn't
exact, it is hard for him to read it, because it is not based on a
prior knowledge of the sign.

Meanwhile, Joe knows some ASL and knows the sign for "peace" in ASL.
Charles wrote the sign for "peace", but he changed it slightly. Joe
didn't notice the change, because he was "assuming knowledge".

Those are the issues of spelling in all languages. No spelling system
is perfect.

If I were to write the sign that Charles described, I would have
written it this way (see attached file). The rotation of the hands is
written with a general arrowhead - neither left nor right. The
general arrowhead means that BOTH the hands are moving simultaneouly
in the direction of the arrow.....Can you read this?

Attachment
rotation.gif
Type: image/gif

3583 Re: Irish Blessing "peace" Valerie Sutton Fri  6/16/2000

  Message 3581  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index