forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3599  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jun 18, 2000  2:54 am
Subject:  phonetic and phonemic writing

But it is neccessary to be able to reduce the chances of misinterpretations.
Therefore I think it is necessary to be able to understand this m o v e m
e n t - w r i t i n g - system. Sign Languages are based on movement,
facial expressions and parameters that can be expressed pretty detailed in
SW. (At least so far that it is a tool for every day writing !! Not
tooooooo detailed if the reader is wellinformed - but with the potential to
give exact instructions for the reader who isnīt familiar with the language.

SignWriting List
June 17, 2000

Congratulations on all you are accomplishing, Stefan - I am so glad
to hear of your good news with your students...

Above you are talking about the difference between phonetic and
phonemic writing. Linguists can explain this better than I, but those
are issues of spelling in detail, or not so detailed - that is a hard
subject and it will take time for good spellings of signs to develop
naturally....it really can't be forced...later, people memorize
certain spellings and they become standard whether they are the best
spellings or not ....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3599  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index