forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3640  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  12:11 am
Subject:  phonetic and phonemic spelling

At 6:14 PM -0400 6/25/00, Nancy Cole wrote:
>But I'm curious...is German easier to learn lip reading than English?
>another of my 2 cents huh?
>
>Smile
>Nancy

SignWriting List
June 25, 2000

You know, this question above is related to another question that has
been on my mind lately. I remember looking at written German once,
and thinking to myself that German spellings seem more exact and more
precise and more "phonetic" than English spellings do....

Our English spellings are not logical. We write a sound one way in
some English words, and the same sound is written in a totally
different way in other English words, and then we expect Deaf
children and people from other countries to memorize our crazy
spelling system!

And they do amazingly well, when you consider....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3640  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index