forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3684  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Cecelia Smith
Date:  Thu Jun 29, 2000  5:50 am
Subject:  Re: standardized spellings

I'm not sure I really understand the problem with different "accents" existing
in sign languages... as was clearly pointed out, there are accents in spoken
languages, such as the pahk vs park and people can fill in hundreds of
others.

There are also various uses of similar words...for example, how many different
meanings can be associated with the word "run"

I know of at least 36... some of which are:

run - go fast by foot
- deplete (run out of gas)
- tear (run in a stocking)
- operate (run the equipment)
- compete (run for office)

you know of others.

Recognizing that a word is used differently does not invalidate its use. For
example...a Sheila is a girl in one country, and to knock up someone in Britian
is not the same as it is here in the States.

Such varieties of languages will appear in all types of languages...spoken or
manual. So, yeah...there are accents in Sign language. And that will show
up in SW.

anyway..that's my 2 cents. <grin>

Cecelia

  Message 3684  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index