forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3701  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  10:47 am
Subject:  Re: standardized spellings

Part of knowing a language is knowing how and when to use its different
"registers." These are the different ways the language is used in
different situations; for example, I use one way of talking with the guys
on the construction crew, but talking that way to my professors doesn't
generally help my grades!
Other registers are used with babies--"baby talk," whether in sign or
speech, consists of certain consistent modifications. Some of
these are just for the particular language, and others seem to apply to
everybody. "Foreigner talk," described below, is another register; raising
the voice (in speech) or larger movements (in signs) is one of its
characteristic features.
So, little Irina is just demonstrating her excellent command of her
native language, by using the appropriate registers in different
situations. Give her a compliment, Stefan!

Also....

Standard spellings have their points.
The Haiti people don't care that the proper spelling of their country
only has one /t/, but there's a country in Africa called Niger, and.....
.....better watch it, Angus;
;-))

_______________________________________
Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

> I was talking about trying to help a person who does not know a
> language, understand the language...and sometimes when hearing people
> are trying to talk to a person from another language, that hearing
> person raises the sound of his or her voice, without even noticing
> it...in other words...psychologically they are thinking the person
> can't hear them, but actually they just don't know the same language
> and raising the voice is unnecessary.
>
> I remember once I was trying to explain to someone in English (who
> didn't know English), how to find a hotel. And I started to raise my
> voice "Go down this street" and I pointed and I also raised my voice
> without knowing it - and someone near me said - Hey. They are not
> deaf! And I felt embarrassed because I realized what I was doing....
>
> So I was comparing that to little Irina, who is a native signing Deaf
> child, who changes her language so that she is signing slower and
> larger, because she knows the other person doesn't know her
> language...what would you call that?
>
> Or what is your theory as to why she changes her language into larger
> movements?
> --
>
> Val ;-)

> Valerie Sutton
>

> SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org

> SignWriting List Archives:
> https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Replies Author Date
3708 Re: standardized spellings Valerie Sutton Fri  6/30/2000

  Message 3701  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index